Chīsai is a small website generator, editable and hosted on github, with automatic deployment.
Purpose and mission
Chīsai is aimed at empowering people who need a free solution to have their own small space on the internet without falling into the CMS install and maintenance crazyness. All content is in markdown files, in folders, and the user can edit, upload images and host on github.
Chīsai answers three very important things for me when it comes to websites:
- It should be easy to modify by someone else
- It should be durable and long lasting
- Each person should own the code of its website
How does it work?
You can see a demo here. It's quite simple:
- Each section is a folder with files named as the dates of their publication.
- Each section has it's parent page that regroups all the files inside.
- All sections 5 latest entries are regrouped on the home page with a link to see the full content.
- Content is edited using the Markdown syntax.
- The content (create folders, files, edit files) is edited directly on github
- Using github pages and github actions, the site is served and rebuild on each change, making it free to host.
How to use it?
See the wiki for extensive guides for everything.
Chīsai main build script is less than 400 lines of Python. It uses a local version of Mistune to parse Markdown, making it independant from any third party script.
Who can use it?
Chīsai is a free to use by individuals and organizations that do not operate by capitalist principles. For more information see the license file.